March 31, 2022
Basil is part of the mint family and it’s estimated that there are up to 150 varieties of basil. Although we typically see green-colored basil sold at grocery stores, there are also purple varieties. Fresh basil tastes best when the leaves are crisp and fragrant. Our favorite way to use fresh basil is in this recipe for Caprese Salad!
Servings: 5 | Prep/cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Balsamic vinaigrette, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Layer tomatoes, cheese and basil on a plate.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.