June 30, 2022
Did you know? Some studies have shown that eating tomatoes can protect your immune system, heart, lungs and vision. Enjoy them in this recipe for Stuffed Tomatoes!
Servings: 2 | Prep/cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ carrot
- ½ celery rib, sliced
- ½ small onion, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 basil leaves, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut slice off top of each tomato and scoop out insides and pulp save both tops and insides for later. Drain remaining liquid by turning tomatoes upside down on paper towel.
- In food processor or blender, add carrot, celery, onion, garlic and leftover tomato pulp and juice, blend until chopped.
- In skillet, add olive oil, oregano and blended vegetables. Sauté until soft and tender. Add broth and simmer about 2 ½ minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, cheese and basil.
- Using mixture from skillet, stuff tomatoes and put the tops back on. Spray baking dish and add stuffed tomatoes. Do not cover.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until full heated